I cannot read any work related article online without hearing about a work-life balance. Which leads to everyone’s question, what is that? Is this a new term that someone made up to justify going to the bar every night, or is this the key to happiness in our career? It does not matter if you work at home, or in the cubicle in the corner. This is a balance we all need to be aware of. Although being a #girl boss is the goal, we cannot forget to live our life.
Where did this even come from?
When the term “girl boss” took off, I was not a fan. I assumed it would only exist in my online world, and I would never hear of it outside of that. Now, you seriously cannot go to Homegoods without finding sixteen items with the phrase on it. While I appreciate a hustle, a hard worker, and someone who is dedicated, is this term driving us all crazy? Being successful is everyone’s dream. We all want to go to Target and drop whatever we want in our shopping cart. Should you forget about your friends? Should you stay locked up in your home? The answer is no! This is where a work-life balance comes in.
How we can create a balance without going crazy
Seriously, this seems easy. I know that when I am in a work mood, I honestly cannot do anything else. On the other hand, if I am in a party mood, it is hard to turn that off. We definitely do not want to be all work and no play, but we also do not want to be a bar fly. Since I work online, I get emails pretty much at any time of the day. I had three emails that hit my inbox at around 4am. Even as a blogger, I can create a work-life balance. If I am writing, researching, or taking photos, that is my complete focus. If I am out to get tacos with my best friends, that is my focus. Trust me, it is possible to create a life outside of work that benefits work in a fun way. I know, I am shook as well.
If you don’t care about the rest of this post, just read this.
- Find hobbies that benefit your life, as well as your job. Having fun activities to do at home will make it seem like you are not constantly obsessed with work. Plus, we always should be learning! You can also just do something that you think is fun. It really is up to you! I am trying to relearn French for my upcoming trip, but that can also benefit me in a professional setting as well. That is a work-life balance if I have ever heard of one!
- Honestly, unplug! We are constantly attached to that phone, and I know that I am guilty of it myself. Have a time where you stop responding to those emails until the next day. Tell your clients that you are not available after a certain time. Doing this will make sure that when you are doing “life” thing, you are actually there and enjoying yourself.
- I think the biggest point is knowing that you cannot do everything at once. Multi-tasking is my super skill. Sometimes I will be playing a video game, watching something on my computer, and writing all at once. If you are in college, let me tell you something. No, you cannot take your computer to the bar to right that last minute paper you forget about. I have tried, and it never works out.
But, I want to be successful, fun is not a priority…
Don’t be that person. Every time I visit my grandparents, they tell me about all of the things they missed. Going out with your friends for a few hours will not kill you. Attending that family reunion with your wild aunt is going to be good for your karma. Not going out before a big work meeting is always a good idea. Living an enjoyable life is something that not everyone remembers to do. My brother just began a new job that he cannot stand, but he balances that with going to football games. Finding something you really love to do may make that job a little bit better. Having fun does not need mean that your job has to suffer. Having a happy life outside of work means your overall attitude will be much more positive.
On the other hand….do not have too much fun
My mother has always told me that I spread myself too thin. Which is completely true. Years ago, I somehow was a full time student, a full time retail manager, and a full time partier. If you are curious about how I managed all of that, I did not. My job performance was not the most beautiful resume I have had. My GPA severely suffered, and my overall attitude was not that great. Even if you are not currently working, school work is just as important. College may be the time to have fun, but it is the time to work. Seriously, trust me on this one.
How to find your own personal work-life balance!
- Write down what you do on a daily basis. Create a category for work related events, and create a category for “fun” events. If you have one category that is outweighing the other, then maybe just knock one of those items off of the list. Balance does not have to be literal, but sometimes the visualization helps.
- If you are having a problem with your list, then try and to write out a schedule. Schedule your daily necessities, and then schedule in fun time around that. This seems like a Type A thing to me. I can see my mom planning out her whole day. My day starts when I wake up, I blast through whatever I need to do, and enjoy the rest of my day.
- I think the easiest thing I can tell you is to be selfish. If something is not benefiting you in at least one way, then just cut it off then. Is that television show is keeping you up late, record it or just wait to binge watch it. Does that drive to work is make you late, leave earlier. Your life is really all about being the best you that you can be. So make it that way!